NHPS SOCIAL STUDIES
Grade 10 – United States History I – Full Year
|Quarter 1||Quarter 2||Quarter 3||Quarter 4|
|Unit Titles||UNIT 1: Pre Colonial America
UNIT 2: The Age of Exploration
UNIT 3: African Culture and Slavery
|UNIT 4: Colonial America: The Early English Colonies
UNIT 5: The American Revolution
|UNIT 6: Origins of American Government
UNIT 7: Manifest Destiny and Westward Expansion
|UNIT 8: Causes of the Civil War
UNIT 9: The Civil War
|Learning Outcomes||UNIT 1:
1. Compare and contrast different Native American cultures
2. Evaluate the impact of physical geography on the development of various Native American cultures (1.2).
1. Analyze the causes of European exploration-social, political and economic.
2. Assess and analyze the positive and negative implications of European exploration on Native Americans including long term effects of contact, cooperation and conflict.
1. Assess the impact of European settlements on African peoples including the long-term effects of contract, cooperation and conflict.
2. Examine the incentives for the development of the institution of slavery
1. Assess the impact of European settlements on Native Americans.
2. Examine the economic relationships among Native Americans, colonists and the European Imperial Powers including the concept of mercantilism.
1. Explain the changes in British policies as well as other factors that caused the American colonists to revolt.
2. Assess the causes and effects of the Revolutionary War from political, economic, and social perspectives.
1. Analyze the Constitutional Convention and the ratification process.
2. Discuss and explain the organization of the new national government, including the three branches of government.
1. Discuss the impact of the Louisiana Purchase and the acquisition of Florida.
2. Examine the political and economic impacts of the Jackson presidency.
1. Investigate the political debate over slavery, States’ Rights Doctrine and Secession.
2. Compare and contrast leaders of the Civil War Era
1. Assess the political, social, and economic impact of the Civil War.
2. Describe and discuss key battles, military turning points and strategic decisions in the Civil War.
3. Compare and contrast military, economic and political situations f the Union Confederacy.
|Significant Task||UNIT 1:
1. Use jigsaw strategy to compare and contrast the different Native American cultures. Write a comparative framework
1. Complete a “T” Chart and write an outline and persuasive essay.
UNIT 3: Write an historically accurate editorial that that reflects student’s knowledge of the time period.
1. Create a travel brochure for one of the three colonial regions in America during the 1600s.
UNIT 5: Create a personal Declaration of Independence.
1. Write an essay on what should be done if one branch of government usurps the power to delegate to another branch.
1. Write a letter home from the perspective of a soldier fighting in the war with Mexico. Students will then create their own political cartoon demonstrating at least two persuasive techniques.
1. Evaluate historical sources in a museum set up in the classroom.
1. Evaluate historical sources, developing an historical thesis, defending thesis with reliable evidence and conduct a research project..