NHPS SOCIAL STUDIES
Grade 7 – World Cultures And Geography
|Quarter 1||Quarter 2||Quarter 3||Quarter 4|
|Unit Titles||UNIT 1: Introduction To Geography
UNIT 2: The Culture of Latin America and the Caribbean
|UNIT 3: Africa And The Middle East: Culture, Conflict, And Competition||UNIT 4: The Development of Civilization in Europe and the Mediterranean Region||UNIT 5: The Impact of Globalization on the Cultures of Asia|
|Learning Outcomes|| UNIT 1:
1. Use a world map to identify specific locations, in particular the seven continents and four major oceans.
2, Use specific parts of a map, including the compass rose, legend, scale, and latitude and longitude.
3. Describe major geographic landforms impacting human settlement.
1. Identify countries found in Latin American and the Caribbean.
2. Use the five themes to discuss and explain people, places, and
environments of past and present Latin America.
3. Compare and evaluate the cultures and the political, social and economic structures of the Aztec, Inca, and Mayan civilizations.
4. Use Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil and Mexico as case studies, identify aspects of their history and connect them to the present day political and social conditions of those countries.
1. Identify the countries of Africa and the Middle East.
2. Explore the contributions of ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian culture, in particular, the impact of agriculture and the development of writing, on the growth of civilization.
3. Compare Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.
4. Analyze the causes and effects of European colonization on the continent of Africa.
5. Analyze the competition for natural resources, such as oil, gold, and diamonds, on the political, cultural and economic forces within the region.
6. Evaluate the political and economic systems of ancient and modern Africa, emphasizing Nigeria and South Africa.
1. Identify the countries of Europe and the Mediterranean region.
2. Explore the contributions of Greek and Roman civilization to the modern world, including the concept of democracy, architecture, technology, and the use of slavery as an economic system.
3. Describe the contributions in literature, art, architecture, and science of the Renaissance and the Age of Exploration to the modern world.
4. Explain the events and analyze the impact of the Protestant Reformation.
5. Describe the birth of the European Union.
1. Locate major countries within the region of Asia.
2. Describe characteristics of Japanese, Chinese, and Indian cultures, including politics, religion, art, and language.
3. Evaluate the global impact of technological innovations from Asia, including the development of consumer electronics, automobiles, and nuclear weaponry.
4. Describe the shift in Chinese, Japanese, and Indian civilizations from empire to nationhood.
5. Evaluate the interaction of local culture, popular culture, and global culture as seen in modern day Asia.
|Significant Task||UNIT 1: develop six steps for Academic Vocabulary (Marzano)using a
UNIT 2: create a Latin America: Travel Brochure
|UNIT 3: research Comparative Religions: Judaism , Christianity, Islam||UNIT 4:
Museum Of European Civilization
Greetings From Asia!