Parent Survey Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are Learning Environment Surveys? In mid-January, the district will be surveying students, parents, teachers and staff to gather feedback on how each of these groups feels about the learning environment in their school. The survey will ask questions about a) academic expectations, b) collaboration (working together), c) communication, d) engagement and e) safety and respect. There will be a different survey for students, parents and teachers – but all will focus on the same five areas.
2. Who takes the Parent Survey? All parents of New Haven Public School Students grades Pre-K through 12.
3. What will the survey results be used for? The survey results will be used by each school to improve their operations as part of their school improvement plans. Results will also be used as a major factor in determining the school climate/student engagement component of the Annual School Progress Reports the district will use to tier the schools.
4. Will I be able to see the results of the survey? Yes. Once the results are collected and analyzed, the results will be posted on the New Haven Public Schools website at www.nhps.net
5. How did you decide what questions to ask? The surveys were designed by the Survey Committee which was formed as part of the historic teacher’s contract the district and the teacher’s union agreed upon last fall. The Survey Committee comprised of administrators, teachers and parents has worked hard to craft these surveys based on both national models and local experience and needs. The results of the surveys are an important part of our overall effort to understand and improve our schools and will be a component of our annual School Progress Reports.
6. If a parent has more than one child in the New Haven Public Schools, will they fill out multiple surveys? Yes. Parents should fill out one survey for each school their children attend.
7. How will parents get the survey? The surveys in (English and Spanish) will be sent home with students in grades PreK-8. Parents of High School student will receive the surveys by mail to the week of Feb. 4.
8. Can parents fill out the survey online? Yes. Parents can visit www.nhps.net to link to the survey and to fill it out online. However, in order to complete the survey online, parents must use the unique access code printed at the top of their paper survey.
9. Will the District be able to track what individual parents say on their surveys? No. The access codes were generated by a third party survey company. That company will compile the results and report back to the district.
10. How long do parents have to respond to the survey? All surveys must be completed online or postmarked by March 1, 2013.
11. What if a parent loses or never receives a survey in the mail? There are extra access codes available for parents who have lost or who never received a survey in the mail. Parents should call the school to receive a new code.