WHAT ARE OUR GOALS?
Eliminate the gap between the performance of New Haven students and the rest of the State
- Cut the dropout rate in half
- Ensure that every graduating student has the academic ability and the financial resources to attend and succeed in college
WHAT IS OUR VISION?
- Students learning through meaningful and coherent experiences in individual classrooms, among different classrooms, and in the rest of their lives
- Schools as learning centers where teams of adults take collective responsibility for students and work individually and collaboratively toward academic achievement and excellence.
- The district and schools supporting development, innovation, and adaptation both within schools and by individuals.
STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS
- Portfolio of Schools: Each school will be organized and supported to follow its own unique path to success.
- Talent: Teachers, administrators, and staff will be managed as professionals to encourage collaboration, empowerment, and responsibility for outcomes , enabling the district to attract, develop, and retain the highest caliber staff
- Community and Parents: The school system will coordinate as closely as possible with parents, community organizations, and ohers who work on behalf of students.
For more information about the district's goals and strategies, please use the links below:
- To read a general summary of New Haven's School Change, click here.
- For a one-page summary of New Haven's school reform goals: click here.
- To see initiatives proposed to the Board for 2010-2011, click here.
- To see a summary of New Haven's landmark teacher contract, click here.
- To see the appendix on turnaround schools, click here.
- To see the school reform Amendment to the teacher contract, click here.